Register Login             



Thurs 24/4/08



Pilks picked up their first silverware since 2002 with a hard-fought victory over Continental Star at Bromsgrove on a quagmire of a pitch that was hardly befitting over the occasion.


Star started well with Tony Green’s acrobatic volley forcing Kenny Sanders into a fine save at full stretch. From the resulting corner Sanders was again forced to make a good save from Fuller’s cross-shot. Star continued to dominate the early exchanges with Benjamin forcing the Pilks’ keeper to save well to his left. Pilks gradually started to come into the game with Ross Kendall and Frank Woodburn both shooting from distance but their best chance of the first half fell to Wayne Dugmore after good interplay by Delton Francis and Mark Coyne allowed him to sprint clear but his shot was well parried by Kler in the Star goal.


Continental faded in the second half which was more even than the first. Matthew Hill, on the left for Pilks, beat two mean but then curled his shot narrowly wide. Dugmore’s cross found Hill who squared the ball to Kendall but his shot was well blocked by Kler from close range. With Star increasingly tiring Pilks were awarded a penalty after a trip on Paul O’Brien. Delton Francis stepped up and made no mistake 1-0. With six minutes remaining a long ball found Dugmore whose headed fell to Earl Jordan who netted to make it 2-0. With Star desperately trying to get back into the game both Jordan and Coyne missed chances to add to Pilkington’s lead. When the final whistle blew Pilks were able to celebrate the fitting end to a very positive season on and off the pitch.


leading out.jpg

Coyney limbers up and prepares to lead out Pilks whilst Kenny and Duggie natter away behind!



Pilks (in red 'away' kit) attack during the 1st half


cont defending.jpg

Continental Star look to build from the back. Pilkington's Ross Kendall (no. 6) is in the foreground



Pilks are presented with trophies!


Sat 5/4/08 Highgate United 2 Pilkington XXX 4

Pilks forced champions-elect Highgate to postpone their promotion party after a fully deserved win at Tythe Barn Lane on Saturday.


Pilks started the better of the two sides with Highgate looking disorganised in the defence. In was no surprise that Pilks created the first chance with Ross Kendall firing over after pass from Mark Coyne. Five minutes later Kendall found the target with a fine header from a cross from Anthony Davies. Before Highgate had chance to re-group they were two goals behind as Andrew Johnson’s shot was deflected in. The pressure kept coming from the visitors with Delton Francis and Mark Coyne missing chances. Five minutes before the break the home side reduced the arrears following a rare attack as Tom Thacker tapped home a cross from the dangerous Kieran Rowbotham.


Early in the second half Pilkington were awarded a free kick which Johnson happily curled home to restore their two goal lead. Highgate rallied and started to enjoy the lion’s share of possession but this didn’t translate into many chances – Liam O’Shea poking a rare one over from close range. On 78 minutes Highgate were awarded a controversial penalty after the referee adjudged there had been a push in the box. Thacker stepped up to make it 3-2. Highgate pushed desperately for an equaliser with Pilkington’s Neil Ward lucky not to score an own goal as he headed against his own bar and O’Shea somehow volleyed over the rebound from close range. With Highgate pushing, Gary Ray sprung the off side trap and squared the ball to Delton Francis who sealed the victory.


Pilkington now have a break until Thursday 24th April when the play in the final of the Smedley Crooke Charity Cup against either Barnt Green Spartak or Continental Star at Bromsgrove Rovers’ ground.



Sat 29/3/08 Massey Ferguson 1 Pilkington XXX 5


It only took Pilkington ten minutes to take the lead at Bannerbrook Park on Saturday and from that point there was no looking back. Andrew Johnson scored four times to remaining the favourite for the Midland Combination’s golden boot award.


Johnson’s first goal was a trademark goal as he cut inside to fire past the helpless keeper. Before Pilkington’s second goal both Ollie Jones and Delton Francis missed good chances to extend the lead, but on 20 minutes Francis curled in a shot from 25 yards to double the visitor’s lead. Massey then made a rare foray forward but stand-in keeper Paul Smith managed to push the chance away. Ross Kendall on the right wing cut inside and was unlucky to see his shot tipped wide by the flying keeper. A minute before half time Massey had chance to reduce the arrears but Smith foiled the home forward with his foot.


Massey started the second half the better of the two sides and looked capable of making a game of it, but on 55 minutes Kendall fed Johnson who made it ‘three’. The pressure continued and Johnson latched onto a cross from Francis and scored at the second attempt. Massey made a number of substitutions to try and alter things and Smith was required to make a good save diving to his left, but with six minutes remaining Massey’s Duley pounced on a poor clearance from Smith to give the home side a consolation goal. There was still time however for Johnson to grab his fourth as he latched onto a poor back header by a home defender to score probably his easiest goal of the season.


On Saturday 5th April, Pilkington XXX travel to Tythe Barn Lane to face Highgate United for their final league game of the season (3pm KO)


Mon 24/3/08  Cadbury Athletic 3 Pilkington XXX 1

Pilks slumped to a defeat against tenants Cadbury Athletic on Easter Monday despite starting the brighter of the two sides. Pilks hit the woodwork twice inside the first ten minutes with first O’Brien and then Francis being unlucky. It was then Cadbury’s turn to clip the outside of Kenny Sanders’ goal. Cadbury hit Pilks with two goals in quick succession. The first came as the result of a good move down the left and the second, a few minutes later, saw Adam Ainge heading powerfully home. Pilkington tried to hit back straight away as Jordan and O’Brien combined but the latter could not really trouble the home keeper.


Twelve minutes into the second half Pilks grabbed a lifeline back into the game as Jason Dyer poked home a chance after the keeper had only parried Paul O’Brien’s free kick onto the bar. Cadbury could have killed the game off but somehow in an amazing few seconds they managed to force Sanders into a save, hit the bar and miss from close range. With three minutes to go Cadbury made it 3-1 as a free kick was headed home.


Sat 8/3/08  Brereton Social 0 Pilkington XXX 5

Pilks strolled to a very comfortable victory over basement boys Brereton on Saturday despite missing goalkeeper Kenny Sanders who was unavailable. In his absence Paul Smith donned the gloves.


Things started very ominously for the home side as Andrew Johnson was felled in the box after only seven minutes and then got up to convert the penalty. The influential Paul O’Brien pulled all the strings in midfield and fired two chances wide from the edge of the penalty box with Brereton’s defence backing off. The second goal came on 20 minutes as a diagonal ball from Frank Woodburn fell to Johnson who lashed it into the roof of the net. Earl Jordan nearly made it ‘three’ but he shot narrowly wide form close range after a good turn. With half time approaching Social enjoyed a rare attack but the resulting shot did not trouble Pilks’ stand-in keeper.


Surprisingly the first chance of the second period fell to the hosts but Jennings failed to hit the target. Good play between two of Pilks recent signings, Paul O’Brien and Ross Kendall, set up a great chance for Kendall but the home keeper Deeley blocked well with his legs. Just short of the hour mark Andy Crabtree side-footed home a corner from Anthony Davies to give Pilks a third goal. The pressure remained relentless with top scorer Andrew Johnson managing to miss two good chances to complete his hat trick. Brereton almost grabbed a goal back with quarter of an hour to go when McLeod’s thunderbolt of a shot crashed off the cross bar and was cleared to safety. On 83 minutes Johnson eventually completed his ‘treble’ as he volleyed past Deeley. A fifth goal soon followed for Pilkington as Earl Jordan tucked home a chance from close range to complete the rout. 


Pilkington XXX

Smith, King, Woodburn, Dyer, Vaughan, Jordan, O’Brien, Coyne (Crabtree 43), Johnson, Kendall, Davies


Subs unused: Rowlands, Field, Dugmore, Hill


Report by Ian McDonald






Tues 4/3/08  Pilkington XXX 4 Northfield Town 2 (AET) (Smedley Crooke Charity Cup 2nd Round)

It was a late night on Tuesday at the Triplex as Pilks required extra-time to defeat local rivals Northfield and progress to the Semi Finals of the Smedley Crooke Charity Cup. Pilks had a strong squad to choose from, with both Wayne Dugmore and Earl Jordan named amongst the substitutes.


The evening started well for Pilks with Mark Coyne converting a close range chance which was created by a free-kick from Nathan Hands 1-0. Pilks looked fairly comfortable and the same two players were involved again on 30 minutes as Coyne thundered home a header from Hands’ corner 2-0. Matthew Hill had a chance to seal them game soon after but he fired wide after controlling a cross. Two minutes before half-time Northfield grabbed a goal back as Neil Ward slipped and let in the visiting forward to chipped over Kenny Sanders in the Pilks goal H-T 2-1.


The second half started very scrappily with Pilkington’s best chance falling to Paul O’Brien but he fired wide. On the hour Northfield were awarded a penalty which was duly converted after a foul by Neil Ward 2-2. Pilks had a high percentage of possession during the final twenty minutes of normal time but failed to make the breakthrough despite Jordan and Dugmore both coming off the bench F-T 2-2


The two substitutes combined well early in extra time as Jordan raced onto a Dugmore flick on but sadly he fluffed his chance. Pilks then pretty much sealed victory with two quick goals from Wayne Dugmore in the second half of extra time. The first was a shot from close range whilst the second was a shot from 20 yards which found the corner of the net. In the dying minutes of the game top-scorer Andrew Johnson had a chance to score a fifth for Pilks but his tame penalty was easily saved by ex-Pilks keeper Neil Leech in the Northfield goal F-T AET 4-2


Pilkington XXX FC

Sanders, King, Woodburn (Jordan 70), Dyer, Ward, Hill (Jones 95), O’Brien, Coyne, Johnson, Kendall (Dugmore 70), Hands


Subs unused: Davies, Bird


Sat 23/2/08 Pilkington XXX 2 Bolehall Swifts 1

Pilks emerged victorious at the Triplex on Saturday after what was the proverbial game of two halves, with Pilks dominating the first and Bolehall enjoying the best of the second. In the absence of the injured Andrew Johnson, new-signing Anthony Savery partnered Delton Francis in attack.


Pilks took charge of the first half early on and started playing some attractive football. One such good move between Hill and Francis created a chance for Mark Coyne but Lowe in the visitor’s goal denied him. Matt Hill, who had a good game, soon fashioned an opportunity for Savery who turned well only to see his shot rebound off the post. Pilks then hit Bolehall with two quick goals. Firstly on 25 minutes Paul O’Brien skipped through to score his first goal for the club 1-0. Seven minutes later the lively Hill scored his first goal for Pilks as controlled the ball well and lashed it home 2-0. Bolehall looked off the pace throughout the half but Sanders was called into action to tip over a mis-hit cross H-T 2-0.


A totally transformed Bolehall side emerged for the second half and soon got back into the game thanks to Torgut’s 25 yard shot which bounced awkwardly as Sanders dived full stretch 2-1. Mark Coyne soon found himself in the clear for Pilks but was denied by Lowe who timed his intervention perfectly. On 65 minutes Haywood volleyed just wide for Bolehall following a good free kick from Torgut. Bolehall continued to grow in confidence and a decent move set up Ryan Allmark, but surprisingly the Swift’s star striker dragged his shot well wide. Matt Hill had a chance to seal the victory and score his second of the game but he shot inches over after good centre forward play from Francis. Bolehall pushed for an equaliser but couldn’t find one ensuring the 3 points stayed in Kings Norton.


Pilkington XXX F.C.

Sanders, Bird, Davies, Dyer, Ward, Jones (Hands 70), O’Brien, Coyne, Savery, Francis, Hill


Subs unused – King, Crabtree, Woodburn, Vaughan


Report by Ian McDonald


Sat 16/2/08  Coventry Copsewood 0 Pilkington XXX 3

Pilkington travelled to Coventry desperately short of players and there was even talk of former manager Steve McGinn being pressed into service, however in the end Pilks managed to scrape together a team with Ross Kendall making his first start for the club and Mark Beddowes and Paul O’Brien coming in to help out.


Unsurprisingly it was top-scorer Andrew Johnson who fashioned the first chance of the game as his near post cross was nearly turned past his own keeper by a home defender. Copsewood played good football throughout the game and after 20 minutes Kenny Sanders was called upon to make a smart save to deny an acrobatic volley. Pilks hit the front on 28 minutes as Matt Hill pressurised a home defender and then squared the ball to Johnson who rounded the keeper with ease 0-1. In the space of five minutes both sides had good chances with one-on-ones but neither were scored, with Johnson denied by the keeper’s leg for Pilks. Two minutes before the break Copsewood went close with a shot from distance which was deflected wide H-T 0-1.


The second half consisted mainly of pressure from Copsewood with Pilkington defending doggedly. The half started with a free kick flying across Sanders’ goal and then the Pilkington custodian was called upon to make a save at his near post. At times Pilks defended quite deeply as the pressure increased with a shot being deflected wide and Sanders being called upon to save a free kick. Pilks had hardly had an attack in the half but on 87 minutes a sliced clearance fell to Francis who fed Johnson and he proceeded to race away and score 0-2. This goal didn’t finish Copsewood off and Sanders was called upon to spectacularly save a long-range volley. The third goal came in injury time as Johnson found Francis in space and he fired high into the net F-T 0-3


Pilkington XXX F.C.

Sanders, Bird, Davies, Dyer, Ward, Kendall, O’Brien, Beddowes, Johnson, Francis, Hill (King 71)


Subs unused – Crabtree, Smith, Rowlands


Report by Ian McDonald


Sat 2/2/08  Pilkington XXX 3 Walsall Wood 1


After a series of draws and defeats Pilkington got back to winning ways against Walsall Wood on a cold but bright day at the Triplex.


The visitors were quickly out of the blocks forcing Sanders into a fine save but a minute later their was nothing Pilks’ keeper could do as a cross was allowed to reach the far post for Simeon Smith to score 0-1. Pilks looked to respond and Tony Davies intercepted a Walsall Wood pass and played in Johnson but his shot was deflected wide. It was nearly 0-2 after 23 minutes as a quick Walsall Wood break resulted in a shot hitting the post and bouncing wide. Two minutes later Pilks created an equaliser as a through ball from Coyne was collected by Johnson, who rounded the keeper and scored 1-1. Wood continued to look dangerous on the break and Sanders was forced into another good save. With half time approaching Woodburn curled in a cross from the left and Johnson lept highest to score a rare headed goal H-T 2-1


Pilks started the second half positively with Coyne and Davies both going close. Walsall Wood then started to enjoy a good spell of pressure with Sanders saving well and a good chance being missed after an unfortunate bobble. Pilks weathered this spell of Wood pressure and soon made it 3-1 as Mark Coyne fired home after some awful play by the visiting defenders and keeper 3-1. A clever pass by Francis released Ollie Jones who galloped down the right wing and crossed but Coyne’s diving header was inches wide. Walsall Wood pushed to get back into the game and did create a number of chances however their finishing was poor and they should have scored on a couple of occasions F-T 3-1


Pilkington XXX F.C.

Sanders, Hill, Woodburn, Ward, Crabtree, Jones (Kendall 82), Field, Coyne, Johnson, Francis, Davies


Subs unused – Dyer, Richards, Smith, Rowlands


Report by Ian McDonald


Tues 29/1/08 Pilkington XXX 0 Highgate United 3

Pilks hosted league-leaders Highgate in front of their biggest league attendance of the season on a wet night at the Triplex.


The early exchanges were fairly even without any real openings being created. Pilks created the first chance of the evening after 25 minutes when Delton Francis shot wide after a pull-back from Andrew Johnson. Soon after, Coyne headed wide under a lot of pressure from the visitor’s defence. On 32 minutes Highgate took the lead as O’Shea broke clear only for his shot to be well saved by Sanders in the home goal; however Tom Thacker was on hand to tuck the rebound away with a diving header H-T 0-1.


Highgate started the second half the better of the two sides with an awkward corner being tipped over the bar by Sanders and O’Shea firing over the bar. On 65 minutes Highgate used their pace on the counterattack to devastating effect and Rowbotham tucked away the resulting chance with ease 0-2. Pilks’ best chance of the evening was created soon after as a pass from Richard Field was volleyed inches wide by Mark Coyne. It was nearly three for Highgate as Sanders made a fine save only for the ball to ricochet back off a Highgate forward but Ward was well-placed to clear off the line. With seven minutes remaining, Thacker rounded off a fine personal display but ramming home Highgate’s third goal F-T 0-3


Pilkington XXX F.C.

Sanders, King, Woodburn (Kendall 74), Crabtree, Ward, Field (Richards 79), Jordan (Jones 63), Coyne, Johnson, Francis, Hill


Subs unused: Davies, Vaughan


19/1/08 Continental Star 4 Pilkington XXX 4


Matches between Pilks and Continental Star never seem to be lacking in goals and this one was no exception! Pilks should really have won this game but a combination of missed changes and defensive slip-ups, coupled with a spirited second half performance from the hosts, meant the points were shared.


Pilks could have taken the lead inside the first few minutes but Andrew Johnson managed to miss from close range. The pressure continued and a shot from distance from Gary Ray was very well saved by the home keeper. On 16 minutes Pilkington took the lead as Johnson turned home a corner from Hands after the keeper had come and failed to claim 0-1. Star struggled to create chances and Pilks continued to enjoy the better of the game with both Dugmore and Francis going close. On 40 minutes Delton Francis doubled Pilks’ lead as he poked the ball home from close range after a flick on by Wayne Dugmore 0-2. A third goal came 5 minutes later as Johnson pounced on a poor back pass, rounded the stranded keeper and scored 0-3. At this point it looked like Pilks would win by a big margin but Star grabbed a goal back straight away when a free kick was thundered home to give them a chance to get back into the game H-T 1-3


Pilks’ three-goal lead was restored early in the second half as Delton Francis controlled the ball brilliantly and finished with precision 1-4. Five minutes later Star scored their second as Sanders was beaten to the ball as he came out to confront the striker 2-4. Andrew Johnson then had three chances and Delton Francis one to score but both players failed to make any of them count. This seemed to give Star hope that it wasn’t Pilkington’s day and they started to create good openings. This resulted a shot flying into the back of Sanders’ net after the defence had failed to clear 3-4. Star continued to make fast counter-attacks and it wasn’t a surprise when the equaliser came as a rebound was hit home after Sanders had saved the initial shot F-T 4-4


Pilkington XXX F.C.

Sanders, Vaughan, Wilkes, Ward, Dyer (King h/t), Ray, Dugmore, Coyne, Johnson, D. Francis, N. Hands


Subs unused – Jones, Davies, Kendall, Crabtree


Report by Ian McDonald


Sat 5/1/08 Bolehall Swifts 1 Pilkington XXX 2


1 Sanders, 2 Vaughan, 3 Wilks, 4 Ward, 5 Dyer, 6 Dugmore, 7 Hill, 8 Ray, 9 Francis, 10 Coyne, 11 Hands, 12 King (Dugmore), 14 Rowlands, 15 Smith

On a heavy pitch with players struggling to keep there feet, Pilkington thwarted Bolehall’s busy start before getting a foothold in the game. Hill had the first Pilkington opportunity but the home keeper did well to push his shot past the post for a corner. Bolehall continued to play from deep areas with a somewhat patient style and it was no surprise that they should come unstuck. Caught in possession just outside his box the left back fouled Coyne. Hands’ poor free kick should have been easy for the keeper but his spillage allowed another opportunity for delivery and Hill’s deep ball found the unmarked Coyne who slotted home for 0-1. Shortly afterwards and Ward excellent through ball saw Coyne out pace the keeper but his square pass to the waiting Hill was well intercepted by the retreating defender. Pilkington did not have to wait too long though for their second goal. Delton Francis beat the offside trap before steadying himself to coolly slot past the home keeper 0-2. The half ended with Bolehall at each other’s throats but with plenty still to play for. H-T 0 -1

The second half saw Pilkington more or less set up shop and settle for their two goal lead. The back four were in commanding form and all Bolehall’s attempts were easily thwarted. Indeed Sanders had only one real save to make throughout the period. On a break away Coyne was tripped in a good position but Pilkington rarely looked like scoring a third. With just a couple of minutes left on the clock a ball into the back post by the home left back was misjudged by Sanders and the ball went in off Deran for a consolation goal for the home side.

All in all the management team will be pleased with the teams efforts against a useful Bolehall side who perhaps on a better surface would reap more rewards for the good style of play. A second successive away win is the perfect start to what will hopefully be a good second half of the season for Pilkington.  

Report by Steve McGinn


Tues 1/1/08 Bartley Green 1 Pilkington XXX 5


Pilkington romped to a fine away victory against Bartley Green and could easily have scored more. Pilks welcomed back Kevin Brookes and he partnered Delton Francis in attack.


Bartley Green made the better start but Pilks soon came into the game with Dugmore firing over after a long throw. On 17 minutes Richard Field, who had a fine game, fed Brookes who was felled in the area and the referee did not hesitate in awarding the penalty. Delton Francis stepped up and scored 0-1. On half an hour, Pilks were awarded a second penalty after the keeper was adjudged to have fouled Brookes. Francis again stepped up and made it 0-2. Bartley Green tried to respond and Sanders was called into action to save well from close range. On the stroke of half-time Pilks scored a third as Mark Coyne’s cross was headed in by Brookes despite a desperate dive from the keeper H-T 0-3.


Barley Green enjoyed the first attack of the second half with a shot going wide after a break down the left, however Pilks soon began to re-assume control of the game and scored a fourth on 56 minutes as Francis squared the ball for Brookes to score his second of the match 0-4. It should have been five a minute later but Coyne was foiled by the keeper and then a defender, and then Delton Francis blasted the rebound over. On 65 minutes Bartley Green pulled a goal back with a well-hit shot from the edge of the box which went in off the post 1-4. On 69 minutes, Tony Davies replaced Field and he had two chances in the first few minutes he was on the pitch but he failed to hit the target with either. A long ball by Jason Dyer was flicked on by Francis to allow Coyne to burst clear but sadly he shot wide. Ollie Jones rounded off the scoring on 85 minutes as he finished off a good move which had involved Wilkes and Brookes F-T 1-5.     


Pilkington XXX FC

Sanders, Vaughan, Wilkes, Dyer, Ward, Field (Davies 69), Jones, Dugmore, Brookes, Francis, Coyne


Report by Ian McDonald


Weds 26/12/07 Pilkington XXX 1 Cadbury Athletic 1


Pilks hosted local rivals Cadbury on Boxing Day without top scorer Andrew Johnson who limped off against Southam in the previous game. In his absence Mark Coyne and newcomer Delton Francis were paired together in attack.


Cadbury had the best of the early exchanges and played all the good football without creating any real chances. The nearest they came in this spell was a sliced shot wide from distance. Pilks were slower out of the starting blocks but Francis and Ray both fired in decent shots from outside the penalty box. Cadbury continued to enjoy the majority of the good play as the half an hour mark approached with Sanders doing well to hold a dipping shot and Adam Ainge firing a free kick over the bar. On the strike of half time Delton Francis created a chance for himself after a good turn, but the visitor’s keeper was well placed to save H-T 0-0


The second half started as the first had ended with Francis holding the ball up and shooting well, but this time he failed to hit the target. By now Pilkington were enjoying the lion’s share of possession and a good flick on by Francis found Coyne but he sliced his shot wide. On 57 minutes, and against the run of play in the second half, Cadbury’s took the lead as Ainge hit a shot high into the net after a break down the left 0-1. Pilks responded well with Richard Field driving in a free kick, which the keeper could only parry, but sadly for Pilks the Cadbury defence were first to the ball and cleared it to safety. Field was again involved in some good play and his pass was deflected into the path of Marcus King who was denied by the keeper from close range. On 83 minutes Pilks pressure finally paid-off as Francis was on hand to head home a rebound after Field’s initial header had been kept out well by the keeper 1-1. In the dying minutes Sanders did well to smother a shot at his near post. FT- 1-1                                


Pilkington XXX F.C.

Sanders, Ward, Davies, Dyer, Keight, King, Ray (Beckford 53), Field, Coyne, Francis, Richards (Jones 81)


Subs unused – Dugmore, Smith, Rowlands


Report by Ian McDonald


Sat 22/12/07 Southam United 3 Pilkington XXX 1

Midland Combination Challenge Cup 3rd Round


Pilks hopes of reaching the Challenge Cup Final for the second successive year ended at Southam on Saturday, but more worrying was the sight of top-scorer Andrew Johnson hobbling off just short of the hour mark.


Despite missing a number of players who were injured, ineligible or working, Pilks started solidly and Gary Ray hit an early shot just over the bar. A slip by Ward let in Southam’s McKinley but his shot rebounded off the post and was cleared to safety. A quick break from the visitors resulted in Delton Francis tucking the ball away but the linesman ruled the goal offside. Pilks enjoyed a good spell of pressure around the half hour mark with Dugmore and Francis both missing narrowly. Kenny Sanders was called into action soon after as Bahi thundered in a shot which he had to parry for a corner. With half time approaching Ollie Manuel in the Southam goal did well to deny Dugmore and Johnson after good moves H-T 0-0


Pilks started the second half badly and soon found themselves a goal behind as Stef Jones scored at the second attempt after Sanders had saved the initial shot. A couple of minutes later it was 2-0 as Jones broke down the left and smashed a very powerful shot past Sanders. Pilks responded to these setbacks well and grabbed a goal back through debutant Francis who poked home from close range after King’s cross had been tipped onto the crossbar by Manuel. Southam continued to put Pilks under pressure as they tired and were increasingly unable to get possession and then retain it. McKinley should have scored a third goal for United after he rounded Sanders but he put his shot into the side-netting. On 79 minutes Jones sealed his hat trick as he scored from close range. In the dying minutes he could have scored a fourth but Michael Vaughan bravely block the shot from 8 yards.


Pilkington XXX F.C.

Sanders, Vaughan, Ward, Dyer, Keight, King, Ray, Dugmore (Smith 84), Johnson (Richards 54), D. Francis, Davies


Subs unused – Field, Rowlands, Jones


Report by Ian McDonald



Action from the home game against Brocton on 15th December



Smudger heads clear.....



Andrew Wilkes prepares to challenge while Michael Vaughan & Richard Field look on.......


Tues 4/12/07 Pilkington XXX 1 Pershore Town 0


Pilks again proved what an inconsistent team they are at times. After dropping points against Massey Ferguson despite dominating the game, they turned in a good battling performance to defeat promotion chasing Pershore Town at the Triplex.


Pershore enjoyed a couple of early attacks but then Pilks came into the game quickly with Johnson and Jones both going close. Pershore responded with a shot over from close range after Pilks had failed to clear a free kick properly. On half an hour Hooper sprang the home offside trap and raced clear only for Sanders to make a fine save diving to his left. A corner was flicked goalwards but Sanders improvised well to save with his foot.  Pilks’ shotstopper was again called into action as half time approached when he had to block a close range effort H-T 0-0


Pilks nearly broke the deadlock with the first attack of the second half but Matthew Hill fired over when well placed. Pershore were lucky to escape when one of their own defenders sliced a clearance goalwards but one of his colleagues spared his blushes with a desperate clearance. On 53 minutes the hardworking Hill swung in a low cross which was tucked away by Johnson from close range to give Pilkington the lead 1-0. Pilks had a good chance to double their lead but Dugmore hit his shot over after good work on the right by Ollie Jones. Pershore had a decent amount of possession but a combination of their lack of ability to find the killer ball and Pilks stout defending kept the visitors at bay. Pilks could have added a second late on but the visitor’s keeper Saunders did well to save from Hill and Dugmore F-T 1-0


Pilkington XXX FC

Sanders, Vaughan, Ward, Dyer, Keight (Smith 72), Jones (Jordan 80), Field, Coyne, Johnson, Dugmore, Hill


Subs unused: Richards, Ray, King


Sat 1/12/07 Pilkington XXX 2 Massey Ferguson 2


Pilks fought back from two goals down in this game but looking back they had enough possession and chances to have gained all three points on a very cold afternoon at the Triplex. Pilks are still yet to beat Massey at the Triplex since joining the Premier Division.


Massey nearly took the lead inside the first couple of minutes as a defensive slip let their forward in but Kenny Sanders improvised well to save with his legs. Sanders was again called into action to pluck a curling free kick out of the air. Massey took the lead after 28 minutes when a long distance free kick sailed over Sanders 0-1. A few minutes later they doubled their lead when another shot from distance somehow found its way into the back of the net. This spurred Pilkington into action and a cross from the right from Johnson was handled in the box and the referee didn’t hesitate in giving the penalty despite appeals from the visitors. Johnson stepped up and made it 1-2. Massey nearly hit back in the last minute of the half when a low shot rebounded off the post H-T 1-2


Pilks started the second period well and an Ager free kick was well saved by the visiting keeper. The resulting corner curled straight in but the goal was chalked off because of a foul on the keeper. Andrew Johnson beat the Massey offside trap, rounded the keeper but somehow missed from a couple of yards out. On 72 minutes good work from Dugmore and Jones created a chance for the latter to cross, however Johnson’s header was hacked off the line. At this stage it was beginning to look like “one of those days” for Pilks. A characteristic surge infield from topscorer Johnson resulted in his shot being deflected inches wide. From the corner Ollie Jones flicked the ball over from 4 yards. With 82 minutes gone Wayne Dugmore finally scored Pilkington’s second goal when he rattled home a free kick. In the dying minutes Pilks had two chances to win the game but neither Jones nor Johnson could score F-T 2-2 


Pilkington XXX F.C.

Sanders, Vaughan (King 87), Davies, Dyer, Ward, Jones, Dugmore, Coyne, Johnson, Ray, Ager


Subs unused – Smith, Wilkes, Richards, McCoy


Report by Ian McDonald








Sat 24/11/07 Pilkington XXX 1 Nuneaton Griff 0


Pilks return to form continued on Saturday at the Triplex against Griff in what was a decent game considering the conditions and both sets of players should be congratulated on this.


The game started evenly but Griff were handed the initiative (quite literally) after 15 minutes as Tony Davies handled in the box and Mr Foy didn’t hesitate to award a penalty, however the goalpost saved Pilks as Fox’s penalty rebounded to safety. Some good play by Pilks allowed Ollie Jones to burst into the box but a fine last-ditch tackle halted him. At the other end, as the half hour mark approached, a Griff shot whizzed just wide. Pilks enjoyed a good spell of pressure as half time approached with a cross-shot from Coyne cleared from under the bar and the same player missing the target when he was well placed after good work by Field and Jones HT 0-0


 The second half was similar to the first with plenty of endeavour and effort but few chances. On 60 minutes Sanders wasn’t really troubled by a Griff free kick and soon after Richard Field shot straight at Sanders’ opposite number. After 70 minutes Wayne Dugmore was introduced in place of Martell Beckford and his shot curled over the bar after good build up play. Pilks enjoyed a decent spell of possession and built up pressure through a couple of long throws from Michael Vaughan, the second of which bounced awkwardly in front of the keeper and Ollie Jones pounced quickly to score his first goal of the season 1-0. Despite Griff’s best efforts they were unable to find an equaliser so the points stayed at the Triplex FT 1-0


Pilkington XXX F.C.

Sanders, Vaughan, Davies, Dyer, Ward, Jones, Field, Coyne, Johnson, Beckford (Dugmore 70), Hill (Wilkes 60)


Subs unused – McCoy, Ray, Richards


Report by Ian McDonald






Tues 20/11/07 Heath Hayes 2 Pilkington XXX 4

Referee passed pitch playable at 7.10pm . Heath Hayes went into the game on the back of a 3.0 win in the Vase on Saturday whilst Pilkington had shipped 9 goals from their last two games . The game was played at a fast pace on a very wet pitch which resulted in chances falling to both sides . Pilkington took the lead in the 32nd minute when Davies played a smart one two with the impressive Hill and crossed to to the far post for Earl Jordan to head past theHeath Hayes keeper. With half time approaching a hopeful ball up field fell to Davies who chested the ball down to a Heath hayes player who dispatched the ball past Sanders to level the scores at Half time . The second half started as the first ended with both sides creating chances . Heath Hayes took the lead on 54 after a defensive mistake from the otherwise impressive Dyer . This seemed to spur on the visitors who levelled on 75 through Jordan. On 81 minutes Pilks took a deserved lead when Johnson scored from the spot after a Heath Hayes defender saw red for hand ball on the line . Martell Beckford ensured the points on 85 shooting past the Heath Hayes keeper from 12 yards . Overall a fair scoreline from a very powerful Pilkington display which hopefully gets the season back on track .


Report by John McVey


Sat 17/11/07 Castle Vale 5 Pilkington XXX 2


For the second consecutive year Pilkington crashed to a heavy defeat at the Vale Stadium on a cold and bleak day.


Vale created the first chance after four minutes when a slip by Hill gave them the chance to counter-attack at place, but Kenny Sanders showed a safe pair of hands. After 7 minutes Vale took the lead as Pilks gave the ball away and allowed Christian Crisp to cut through the defence to score CV1 P0. Pilks responded well to this early setback and were soon level as Johnson drilled home a free kick CV1 P1. Pilks kept up the pressure and could have taken the lead however Johnson’s shot was blocked on the line. After 21 minutes Vale regained the lead as Pilks left the left hand side open and despite Sanders initial save Smith was on hand to score with ease CV2 P1. It was nearly three for Vale soon after but Sanders made a fine stop to deny Smith a second goal of the game. With half time approaching Martell Beckford shot narrowly wide after a corner had not been fully cleared HT CV2 P1


Pilks started the second half promisingly as Johnson’s header was hacked away from underneath the cross bar, but soon it was 3-1 to Castle Vale as a corner was flicked home by Shane Benjamin. Two minutes later the game was as good as over as Pilks allowed Powers to run over 50 yards to score with ease CV4 P1. Pilks continued to look shaky whenever Vale attacked and only a good save from Sanders stopped Benjamin from making it ‘five’. Pilks got a consolation goal with 13 minutes remaining as Johnson cut in from the left and curled his shot past Pete McGuire to score his 23rd goal of the season CV4 P2. The scoring was completed in the last minute as Benjamin lashed home a corner to complete Pilks’ miserable day in Castle Vale. FT CV5 P2


Pilkington XXX F.C.

Sanders, King, Wilkes (Davies 64), Dyer (Vaughan 75), Ward, Beckford, Ray, Coyne, Johnson, McGuire (McCoy 64), Hill


Subs unused – Smith, Rowlands


Report by Ian McDonald


Sat 10/11/07 Pilkington XXX 2 Heather St John’s 2


Whilst Pilkington did show some good fighting qualities to come back and earn a point, this was however a slightly disappointing performance after the hugely impressive win over Feckenham in midweek.


Heather, visiting the Triplex for the first time, took the lead after 5 minutes when the ball fell to the feet of Dodds in the box who finished coolly 0-1. Unsurprisingly Pilks first chance fell to topscorer Andrew Johnson but he put his header wide. Just after half an hour it was 0-2 as Turville hit a shot from distance, which found the top corner of Sanders’ goal. Three minutes later Heather could have killed Pilks off but Sanders made a fine save to keep his side in the game. A long ball caused panic in the visitor’s defence but the keeper recovered to block Johnson’s shot with his legs H-T 0-2


Pilks started the second half the better of the sides and good work by Jones created a chance for Martell Beckford but his chipped-shot was well saved by the keeper. From the resulting corner a cross from Jones sailed over the keeper, hit the post but rebounded to safety. Pilks continued to look more dangerous than they had in the first half and after 52 minutes they grabbed a goal back as Martell Beckford headed in a cross from Wilkes 1-2. Mark Coyne, who had scored twice in the week, was played through but the keeper came out on top with a good save.  On 85 minutes Pilks grabbed the equaliser – a cross from Michael Vaughan wasn’t fully cleared and Gary Ray kept his shot down well to make it 2-2. Despite the fact that Pilks dominating the second half it was Heather who had two late chances to win the game – the first needed an excellent save from Sanders and the second hit the post F-T 2-2


Pilkington XXX F.C.

Sanders, Vaughan, Ward, Ray, Dyer, Beckford, Jones (King 70), Coyne, Johnson, McGuire, Wilkes


Subs unused – Richards, Davies, Rowlands, Smith


Report by Ian McDonald




Tues 6/11/07  Pilkington XXX 5 Feckenham 0

(Smedley Crooke Charity Cup 1st Round)


Pilks turned in one of their best performances of the season to totally outplay Feckenham and progress in the Smedley Crooke Cup. In all honesty the result flattered Feckenham and it could easily have been double figures.


Pilks started well and after 12 minutes a free kick from Johnson forced Maynard, in the visitor’s goal, to make a fine save diving to his left. A minute later Nathan Hands hit a shot from distance that went just wide. Pilks took the lead through Mark Coyne, who was making his first start for the club, as he reacted quickest after Johnson’s initial shot had been cleared off the line 1-0. Great play in midfield by Gary Ray crafted a chance for Johnson but his shot was well saved by Maynard’s legs. On half an hour a cleverly worked quick free kick found Dugmore whose powerful shot was pushed round the post by the increasingly overworked Maynard. A mazy cross field run by the impressive Coyne ended with his chipped shot bouncing off the bar and Jordan putting the rebound over when he should have scored. The second goal came after 33 minutes as Andrew Johnson tucked away a chance after a good ball by Dugmore 2-0. Feckenham had few attacks but in the space of two minutes both Atkinson and Wilkie hit half-chances wide. A couple of minutes before half time a corner from Stacey Richards was headed past his own keeper by Donaghy H-T 3-0


Pilks remained on top through the second half and made it 4-0 after 54 minutes as a clearance by Sanders fell to Dugmore who played in Johnson to score with ease. Earl Jordan looked lively on the right throughout and his shot was well saved by Maynard. In a rare foray forward Ryan Field hit an awkward bouncing shot which was saved by Sanders. A through ball by Coyne found Johnson but a fine save from Maynard denied Pilks’ leading scorer his hat trick. A few minutes later Johnson had another chance after he was found on the left edge of the box by Beckford but this time he shot wide. Beckford was looking increasingly influential in midfield and his ball found McGuire who lobbed over. The fifth goal eventually came as a pass from McGuire to McCoy fell to Coyne who tucked away the chance to complete the scoring 5-0. In almost the last minute McGuire missed a good chance to get himself on the score sheet F-T 5-0


Pilkington XXX F.C.

Sanders, Vaughan, Wilkes, Dyer, Coyne, Jordan, Ray, Dugmore (Beckford 55), Johnson (McCoy 72), McGuire, N.Hands (Richards 18)


Subs unused: Jones, Rowlands


Sat 03/11/07 Pilkington XXX 3 Barnt Green Spartak 1


Pilkington got back to winning ways on Saturday with a victory over a disappointing Barnt Green side who didn’t really threaten Pilks.


Spartak enjoyed the better start but it was Pilks’ top scorer Andrew Johnson who had the first chance of the game when, on 15 minutes, he burst clear only to be denied by the keeper’s leg. Pilks thought they had a good shout for a penalty when the ball bounced awkwardly and struck the defender’s arm but the referee waved away the shouts. The ball then fell to Johnson who teed up Davies but his shot was comfortably saved. The were no more clear-cut chances during the half and Pilks were reduced to shooting from distance but neither Wilkes’ nor McGuire’s shots threatened the visitor’s goal HT 0-0


Three minutes into the second half Pilks took the lead as a corner was headed down and Nathan Hands pounced from close range to score his first goal for the club 1-0. BGS attacked looking for an equaliser but couldn’t create any chances to test Kenny Sanders in the Pilks’ goal. Pilks doubled their lead after 76 minutes following some lovely play from Johnson and McGuire, which allowed Dugmore to skip through the defence and fire the ball high into the net 2-0. After 82 minutes Sanders was called into action to make a good block at his near post, however the resulting corner somehow found its way into the back of his net to give Spartak a lifeline 2-1. Pilks had two gilt-edged chances to finish the game off but somehow managed to squander both of them – firstly a quick free kick found Coyne but he dragged his shot wide and then Johnson was played in but was denied by the keeper who stood up well. Finally, in injury time, Pilks got their third goal. Coyne, who looked lively, was felled in the area by the keeper and Johnson stepped to score from the spot F-T 3-1


Pilkington XXX F.C.

Sanders, Vaughan, Wilkes, Dyer, Ward (McCoy 82), N.Hands, Dugmore, Ray (Coyne 64), Johnson, McGuire, Davies


Subs unused – Jones, Rowlands, Smith


Report by Ian McDonald


Sat 20/10/07 Pilkington XXX 2 Bartley Green 1


Pilkington defeated Bartley Green in the first ever league meeting between the two clubs thanks to a solid if unspectacular performance.


Pilks started well but didn’t really manage to create any clear-cut chances, and in fact it was Bartley Green who nearly opened the scoring as Kenny Sanders was called upon to make a fine save after a shot from the right hand side of the box. Pilks first real chance came on half –an-hour when Jason Dyer poked a corner wide from close range. James Francis switched flanks with Ollie Jones and he burst down the right, cutting the ball back to Wayne Dugmore who failed to get over the ball and put his shot over. Top scorer Andrew Johnson nearly broke the deadlock with a cross-cum-shot, which required the visiting keeper to back peddle and make a good save. Bartley Green lacked the ability to fashion many chances, but did go close with a shot from 20 yards after a corner had not been cleared properly H-T 0-0


Four minutes into the second half Pilkington took the lead – a corner from Nathan Hands was headed home by Ritchie McGuire (his 3rd goal in as many games) 1-0. On the hour Sanders did well to hold onto an awkward long-range shot, and soon after Bartley Green had an even better chance as Dyer was outpaced, however the shot ended up going disappointingly wide for the visitors. After 74 minutes, Pilks made it 2-0 through Johnson, who had been played in by the hardworking McGuire. Late-on Bartley Green pushed for a goal and eventually scored one through Cooper but more often than not they were restricted to long range efforts which didn’t really threaten the Pilks’ goal F-T 2-1


Pilkington XXX F.C.

Sanders, King, Davies (Wilkes 59), Dyer, Manton, Jones (J.Hands 72), Dugmore, Ray, Johnson, McGuire, Francis (N.Hands 44)


Subs unused – Richards, Woodburn


Report by Ian McDonald



Tues 9/10/07  Pilkington XXX 2 Feckenham 2


Pilkington got out of jail against Feckenham on Tuesday night at the Triplex with two late goals which salvaged a point from after a disappointing performance. With James Francis out injured, new-signing Jonathan Brady came in to partner Andrew Johnson.


Pilks started solidly and created the first chance of the night when a free kick wasn’t fully cleared and Earl Jordan hooked a shot wide. From the resulting goal kick, Gary Ray seized hold of the ball and hit a powerful shot narrowly wide. Maynard, playing up front, for the visitors hit a shot early from the right hand edge of the box but he failed to hit the target. Pilks continued to enjoy the majority of the possession without being able to fashion clear cut chances. Earl Jordan, playing his first home game of the season looked lively and his free kick was well held by the keeper. On 38 minutes Feckenham took the lead when a breakaway down the right resulted in a cross-shot which was tucked home by Phelan 0-1. A minute later Feckenham thought they had doubled their lead after a very similar move but this time it was resulted offside. Pilks best chance of the half came on the stoke of half-time when a long kick from Sanders found its way through to Brady but his shot was parried by the keeper H-T 0-1


Feckenham started the second half the better of the two teams, with Hill curling in a shot which at one stage looked as if it was going to creep in but Kenny Sanders recovered well to push it away. At the other end Pilks swung a couple of crosses into the box in the space of two minutes, but both Richards and Brady headed wide. Feckenham scored a second after 69 minutes – Pilks gave the ball away and Maynard hit a well placed shot which found the corner of the net 0-2. It was nearly three soon after but Sanders did well to tip over Hill’s well hit free kick. With five minutes to go Pilks reduced the arrears as Ritchie McGuire headed home a corner from his fellow substitute Marcus King 1-2. Three minutes later and Pilks were level as a clever ball from Frank Woodburn found Andrew Johnson who cut inside and hit a shot low into the bottom corner 2-2. Feckenham nearly grabbed all three minutes when a free kick cannoned of a home defender and hit the post F-T 2-2


Pilkington XXX F.C.

Sanders, Ward, Woodburn, Dyer, Keight, Field (Richards 41), Jordan (King 82), Ray, Johnson, Brady, Wilks (McGuire 66)


Unused subs – Vaughan, Smith


Sat 6/10/07 Pilkington XXX 0  Bewdley Town 3 (FA Vase)


Pilks crashed out of this season’s FA Vase competition after a disappointing performance against a well-organised Bewdley side.


Bewdley made by far the more composed start as Pilks struggled to gain and then retain possession and it was no surprise that the visitors took the lead after 21 minutes when Pountney latched onto a poor backpass by James Hands and fired past Sanders 0-1. Eight minutes later Bewdley doubled their lead when Hart tucked away a rebound after Sanders had blocked the original shot 0-2. Pilks’ first chance fell to Andrew Johnson who volleyed over after good work by Wilks and McGuire. McGuire then had two half-chances with headers, but he failed to hit the target with either of them. Johnson looked lively and got himself on the end of a cross from King, however the keeper blocked well at the near post to preserve Bewdley’s two goal lead H-T 0-2.


Pilkington had the majority of the possession in the second half but couldn’t make the required breakthrough, while Bewdley always looked in control and confident at the back. On the hour mark Johnson broke away on the right and cut inside only to be denied by the keeper. Soon Johnson went even closer when Francis played him through but his shot cannoned off the bar. By now it was starting to look that it wasn’t Pilks day. After 62 minutes Bewdley had a shot from distance but it didn’t trouble Kenny Sanders who saved comfortably. Gary Ray, who had come on as substitute, was trying to pull the strings in midfield and his through ball to McGuire forced the keeper to make a sharp save and quickly catch the rebound before a Pilks player could pounce. At the other end a quick attack by Bewdley was flicked on and Sanders had to make a fine save to keep Pilks in the game. With just over 10 minutes to go Bewdley’s substitute striker had to two chances to finish Pilkington off but he missed both, however 8 minutes later it did become 0-3 as a Hart reacted quickly after some penalty area ping-pong and smashed the ball home. With almost the last kick of the game Martin Keight hit the bar with a shot from 30 yards F-T 0-3


Pilkington XXX F.C.

Sanders, King, Wilks (Davies 86), Richards (Dyer 86), Keight, Ward, Vaughan, J. Hands (Ray 57), Johnson, Francis, McGuire


Subs unused – Woodburn, Jones


Report by Ian McDonald


Sat 29/9/07 Pilkington XXX 2 Meir KA 1


Pilks earned three more valuable points on Saturday in what was a very one-sided game, however Pilks inability to finish the game off meant Meir were always in with a chance of grabbing something from the game. In fact it was the visitors who had the first chance of the game when Dyer slipped, however Inman was out quickly to foil Johnson. From this point Pilks started to have the majority of the possession and Gary Ray shot straight at Amison after good work by Francis. Andrew Johnson looked lively throughout and his pass found Neil Ward surging forward from right back, whose cross found Johnson, who had found space in the box, but his header was tame. Ward, Johnson and Ollie Jones were linking up well on the right hand side and they fashioned a chance for James Hands but his volley was comfortably over the bar. With half time approaching James Francis had two chances put he failed to hit the target with either, and Nathan Hands volleyed just wide. At the other end a rare Meir attack resulted in a flicked shot just going the wrong side of the post H-T 0-0


Four minutes into the second half Pilks took the lead – Johnson won a free kick in Meir’s left-back position, Ray swung the ball in and Francis volleyed home unmarked 1-0. Meir gave the ball away from the re-start and Pilks nearly doubled their lead but Nathan Hands’ shot rebounded of the bar. Meir were reduced to ten men when Tim Evans was dismissed for a second yellow card after he had pulled Francis back when he was through on goal. Gary Ray curled the resulting free kick over the bar. Pilks continued to have the vast majority of the play and after good close play in the box Ollie Jones hit a shot just wide. Jones had another chance shortly after when Johnson played him in, however Amison was quick off his line and saved well. Amison was then called on to deny Francis in similar fashion. On a rare venture forward Meir created a half-chance but Gator’s shot was deflected wide. Pilks added a second when Francis steered home a cross from Michael Vaughan, who had only just been introduced as a substitute 2-0. In the last minute Meir grabbed a goal back when Inman made a mess of a slightly awkward back pass from Dyer and Gator accepted the chance gratefully F-T 2-1


Pilkington XXX F.C.

Inman, Ward, Wilks (Woodburn 75), Dyer, Keight, J.Hands (Field 60), Jones (Vaughan 85), Ray, Johnson, Francis, N.Hands


Subs unused – Richards, McCoy


Report by Ian McDonald


Sat 22/9/07 Goodrich 2 Pilkington XXX 7 (FA Vase)


A rampant Pilks progressed into the first round proper of this season’s FA Vase after they tore apart Wolverhampton-based side Goodrich. Pilks could easily have scored more than seven though the defence looked shaky at times and this will need to be tightened up before the next match. With Kenny Sanders unavailable, Pilks drafted in Black Horse keeper David Inman for his debut.


It was the home side who took the lead when Inman was caught in no-mans-land and a header looped past him G1 P0. Pilks responded well and Johnson was denied by a sprawling keeper, who was quick to smother the rebound. After 14 minutes Pilks equalised when Martin Keight headed home Wayne Dugmore’s corner for his first goal of the season G1 P1. Pilks were starting to pull Goodrich’s defence apart on a regular basis and the home keeper was forced to make a good block from Nathan Hands’ shot. On half an hour the visitors took the lead through Andrew Johnson who pulled down Dugmore’s cross-field pass beautifully and fired home G1 P2. By now it was all Pilks and both Francis and King were denied from close range by the keeper. A third goal soon arrived, this time it was from James Francis who tucked the ball home from close range after the keeper had kept the first effort out H-T G1 P3.


Goodrich started the second half the better of the two sides and created a couple of chances – the first was fired high and wide and the second shot was straight at Inman. Pilks soon got their act together again and they retained possession well before Wayne Dugmore let fly with an unstoppable shot from 30 yards G1 P4. Francis nearly scored from further out but his shot from 40 yards was just over. Pilks broke quickly and a well-placed chest-down by Francis fell to Johnson who volleyed just wide. Two more Pilks’ goals followed soon, firstly McGuire tucked away a pass from Francis and then Francis scored his second of the game as he squeezed in his shot from a tight angle G1 P6. A breakaway from the home side gave them a second goal G2 P6.With two minutes remaining McGuire stooped to head home a Francis cross to make it seven. Goodrich had two good chances in injury time to score twice. A fight broke out after a dangerous foul by a Goodrich player who was dismissed for his misdemeanour F-T G2 P6


Pilkington XXX F.C.

Inman, Ward, Wilks, Keight, Dyer, King, J.Hands, Dugmore (Richards 70), Johnson, Francis, N.Hands (McGuire 62)


Subs unused – Vaughan, Smith, Jones


Report by Ian McDonald


Sat 15/9/07 Pilkington XXX 2 Copsewood 0


After losing at home to Coleshill the previous week, Pilks got back to winning-ways against bottom of the table Copsewood. This wasn’t Pilks’ best performance but three points are always gratefully received.


Pilks started reasonably but struggled to find the final killer pass. It took some individual work by Johnson to create the host’s first chance but his run ended with a shot wide. Johnson looked lively and was again involved in an attack, this time holding the ball up and laying if off to Wilks who blazed over. James Francis spotted the keeper off his line and lobbed a shot goalwards from 40 yards but Wilson, the Copse keeper, recovered to save. Pilks continued to play solidly if unspectacularly and a good chance fell to Dugmore after good work by James Bird, but the Pilks’ Player of the Month shot narrowly over. At the other end, Kenny Sanders was called into action to save a header from Partridge and soon after field a shot from distance H-T 0-0


Pilks made two chances at half-time with Marcus King and Nathan Hands coming on. Copsewood started well and it took a good tackle from Bird to deny them a scoring opportunity. Copsewood broke well but the shot from Kennedy didn’t really trouble Sanders. Just after the hour, Johnson picked the ball up 25 yards from goal and dribbled into the box only for Atkins to haul him down. The referee didn’t hesitate and gave the penalty straight away. Johnson dusted himself down and stepped up to take the penalty himself and give Pilkington the lead 1-0. Copsewood responded well and created two chances for Partridge but he didn’t take either chance despite being unmarked both times. Pilks thought they had scored a second goal when Johnson turned Nathan Hands’ cross-shot home but the lineman flagged for off-side. Copsewood made a fine effort at trying to grab an equaliser and they forced Sanders into two key saves, however at the end Pilks broke and Andrew Johnson shot low past the keeper to score his seventh of the season F-T 2-0


Pilkington XXX F.C.

Sanders, Vaughan (King H/T), Wilks, Bird, Smith, Richards, J.Hands (N.Hands H/T), Ray (Keight, 37), Johnson, Francis, Dugmore


Subs unused – Woodburn, McCoy


Sat 1/9/07 Carlton Town 2 Pilkington XXX 1 (FA Cup)


Pilks’ cup dream ended at the first hurdle as they conceded a last minute goal at Nottinghamshire-side Carlton Town. However, in truth Pilks were the better side – a fact acknowledged by Carlton’s supporters.


Pilks started solidly, holding their own against Unibond League opposition and Martin Keight soon headed the first chance wide from a Gary Ray corner. Carlton looked uncertain at the back early on and a clearing header from Keight eluded two defenders but, despite outpacing the defence, Kevin Brookes but his shot wide with Johnson well-placed. Carlton’s first chance came after 22 minutes, but Gent’s shot was weak and didn’t trouble Sanders in the Pilks’ goal. Wayne Dugmore, who earlier in the day had picked up the Pilkington Player of the Month Award for August, fired a shot just over the bar. Pilks had a scare after 40 minutes when Chaplin found himself one-on-one with Sanders but his shot was off-target. With the referee preparing to blow for half-time Pilks lost the ball and Bignall broke clear to give the home side the lead. H-T: CT 1 XXX 0


Carlton started the second half the stronger of the two teams but Pilks kept battling away and Brookes had another good chance but was denied by the keeper. At the other end Bignall hooked a shot just over. After 69 minutes Pilks drew level. Deeming and Ray battled hard on the edge of the box and the ball fell to Brookes who hit it low into the net 1-1. For the remainder of the match Pilkington looked the side more likely to grab a winner. Some good work by James Francis created a chance for Brookes but he fired narrowly wide. In the first minute of injury time Pilks conceded a free kick in their right-back position which was swung in and put away by Martin, the Carlton captain, to dash Pilks hopes of taking Carlton back to the Triplex for a replay F-T: CT 2 XXX 1 


Pilkington XXX F.C.

Sanders, Ward, Davies (Deeming, 56 mins), Dyer, Keight, Jones (King, 47 mins), Dugmore, Ray, Johnson, Francis, Brookes


Subs unused – Smith, Bird, Vaughan


Report by Ian McDonald




Sat 25/8/07 Pilkington XXX 3 Continental Star 1


Andrew Johnson was the star of the show as his hat trick downed Continental Star on a boiling afternoon at the Triplex, but in truth this wasn’t Pilks best performance.


It was the visitors who started the brightest forcing an early corner, which was swung in and hit goalwards by Vinnine, however Sanders was well-placed. A cross from the right found Robinson but the foot of Sanders denied him. Pilks then had a good spell of play. Andrew Johnson’s free-kick was well saved by Kler and from the resulting corner Nathan Hands’ long-distance shot flew back of the post. As always, Star looked dangerous on the break and Robinson broke clear only to see his shot deflected wide by the recovering defender. After 20 minutes Pilks won a penalty fouling a clear foul on James Francis. Johnson stepped up and put the home side ahead 1-0. Ten minutes later it was 2-0 as Johnson controlled a cross from Nathan Hands and finished expertly. Star reduced the arrears after 40 minutes when Robinson latched onto a through-ball and out muscled Marcus King to score H-T 2-1


Pilks started the second half reasonably with King shooting over and a cross from Wilks eluding three players in the box, but then things started to become disjointed and passing starting going astray. Star enjoyed the majority of the possession but where unable to create many chances. At the other end Ray fired wide from distance. With five minutes to go Johnson completed his hat trick when he outpaced the defence and fired past Kler 3-1. In the dying minutes Star could have scored twice. Firstly, Sanders had to make a good block to keep out a shot from Andre Robinson and then Jackson headed straight at him. F-T 3-1


Pilkington XXX F.C.

Sanders, King, Wilks, Keight, Ward, Dugmore (Ray, 64), Deeming, J. Hands (Bird, 86), Johnson, Francis (Brookes, 58), N.Hands


Subs unused – Davies, Jones


Report by Ian McDonald


Tues 21/8/07  Pilkington XXX 2 Southam United 1


Pilkington earned their first win of the season against a very capable Southam side who had a number of chances to earn a point.


Southam started well and after 10 minutes they created the first chance of the game when Friend shot over after Sanders had blocked an earlier one-on-one. Both sides had periods of pressure but neither could regularly find the final pass. James Francis used his pace to out run the Southam defence but his shot was blocked for a corner. After 33 minutes Southam won a free-kick on the left wing which was swung into the box but unfortunately for the visitors Claridge couldn’t quite get a touch. With the referee preparing to blow for half-time Johnson spread the play to Jones on the right who, in turn, found Francis but his shot was well off target H-T 0-0


Southam took the lead after 53 minutes when an under hit back pass resulted in Sanders clearance rebounding off Friend and landing in the net 0-1. A few minutes later Friend had another chance but he couldn’t get any power into his shot. Southam continued to edge it and Graham broke clear however he was denied by a good save from Kenny Sanders. Pilks won a free kick near the box and Nathan Hands excellent shot was well saved by Manuel. The resulting corner from Ray was flicked home by James Francis 1-1. Pilks then enjoyed a good spell of pressure, which resulted in Johnson beating the offside trap and squaring the ball to Gary Ray who slotted the ball home 2-1. The lively Johnson found Deeming whose powerful shot was straight at the keeper. The final ten minutes were frantic with Southam pushing for an equaliser and Pilks looking to launch counter attacks. A corner fell to Hanrahan and he shot over, meanwhile at the other end a break from Dugmore let in Johnson, who beat the first man only to see his shot well saved. Southam through everything at Pilks in the final minutes but the home side needed some luck to hold on as, amazingly, a shot squirmed through Sanders legs only for it to go wide of the goal! F-T 2-1  


Pilkington XXX F.C.

Sanders, King (Ward, 61), Wilkes, Keight, Dyer, Dugmore, Jones (Deeming, 61), Ray, Andrew Johnson, Francis, N. Hands


Subs unused – Davies, J. Hands, McGuire


Sat 11/8/07 Pilkington XXX 1 Castle Vale 1


After 6 pre-season games Pilkington got their league campaign underway at a sunny Triplex against last season’s runners-up Castle Vale.


Pilks started solidly but it was the visitors who had the first chance when a corner was not properly cleared, but Fraser’s shot flew off the post. Pilks continued to work hard and they started to create some openings. Gary Ray’s corner was headed back across goal by Dyer to Keight but he could only poke it over the bar. Then a free-kick from Keight beat the defence and Wayne Dugmore nipped in to slot the ball past McGuire in Vale’s goal 1-0. With half-time approaching Vale hit the post for a second time – a break down the right resulted in a cross which fell to Ellis who hit the outside of the post. Wayne Dugmore was again involved in the action and his long-range shot forced McGuire into a sharp save H-T 1-0


The second half was dominated by Castle Vale. After a foul near the box, Power hit a free-kick just over. At the other end Anthony Johnson shot over the bar after turning well and Ray shot wide after good work by Brookes. On the hour a long ball beat the Pilks defence and Sanders in goal, however Marcus King made a fine last-ditch intervention to save the home side. Good play down the left by Vale created a good chance for Power but his shot went weakly wide. Soon after, a cross from Bowater narrowly evaded two Castle Vale forwards who were well placed. With just a few minutes remaining Vale finally found an equaliser as Campbell headed home a right wing cross 1-1. Vale then had two golden chances to win the game. Firstly an incredible goalmouth scramble finally resulted in Pilks clearing the ball, and then Marcus King was forced to clear a shot from Campbell off the line F-T 1-1


Pilkington XXX F.C.

Sanders, King, Ward, Dyer, Keight, Ray, Deeming, Dugmore, Anthony Johnson, Brookes, Jones


Subs used – Andrew Johnson (for Anthony Johnson, 76 mins), Hands (for Dugmore, 88 mins)


Subs unused – Bird, Nicholls, McGuire

Home News Fixtures League Table Links Contacts/Info History Match Reports Player Stats Directions Pictures    

Copyright (c) 2008 Website for Pilkington XXX FC Member of the Fusive Network ¦ Powered by FusiveWebTM click here to get your FREE website.